Aug 11, 2013

Sweet Scrappin' - Mixing up your supplies

Hey there, Sweet Scrappers! 

I have been on something of a mission this year to make a dent in my patterned paper stash. And my sticker stash, and my button stash... you get the picture. But sometimes my supplies just seem kinda old and boring. Last week I was eying a couple of monthly scrapbook kit clubs, and was VERY tempted to purchase just one teeny-tiny kit.... and then I realized that I should try to make my own kit. Yep, my very own counterfeited kit! I chose to counterfeit this Marks & Co. kit by Studio Calico. 

I started with the patterned paper and cardstock. Since I don't have any exact matches to the Studio Calico kit, I just tried to match up colors and then looked for similar scale on the patterns. For example I've got yellow paper with polka dots instead of stars, and aqua paper with white music notes on it instead of that gorgeous ombre paper in the kit . *Sigh*
Back to my kit. I'm loving how the papers came together. Here's a list of my papers:

WRMK 'Love 2 Craft' red polka dot
Amy Tangerine 'Yes, Please' ledger
Bazzill solid blue cardstock
Authentique 'Grace'
Echo Park 'Everyday Eclectic' (images and music notes papers)
WRMK chevron washi sheet
My Mind's Eye 'Lost and Found 2' yellow polka dot
Solid cardstock by Bazzill, American Crafts and Echo Park

Then to choose embellishments, I took my cues from the SC kit colors. Wood, aqua, blue, yellow and grey are all in there. I also took inspiration from the types of embellies in there: sequins, resin flowers, thread/twine, and washi tape. And then I know I personally like to layer up stickers, brads and diecuts, so I made sure to add those, and some letter stickers for titles.
Here's a partial list of my embellies:

Letter stickers - Amy Tangerine and Jillibean Soup
Sticker sheets - Crate Paper 'Storyteller' and Amy Tangerine 'Ready Set Go'
Die cuts - Dear Lizzy '5th and Frolic', Amy Tangerine 'Ready Set Go', My Mind's Eye 'Miss Caroline'
Wood veneers - Studio Calico
Clips - Freckled Fawn and Pebbles
Flair buttons - Bluebird Chic
Brads - My Mind's Eye, BasicGrey

I decided not to set aside any particular stamp sets with the kit, I'll just use what works for each project.

The current sketch challenge at Timeless Twine caught my eye. And I included a couple of 10 yard packs of Timeless Twine in my kit, so I'm set. That grey, yellow and white one is called "Cape Cod", and the kraft and white is called "Krazy for Kraft". You can get the details of the challenge HERE.
 
My arrow clips worked perfectly for the sketch, but I wanted to add even more arrows, so pulled out two Sweet Stamp Shop stamp sets: Chalkboard Sign and Starts Here. When choosing ink I had to keep in mind that the grey chevron patterned paper is actually a sheet of washi tape. I've found that Colorbox chalk ink works really well on washi. Just be sure to let it dry before you touch it. I decided I would be placing most of my embellies in a diagonal line from the top left to bottom right, so I splattered some Mister Huey's mist colors in the two corners.
 I then got to work placing the title, embellies, and twine on the layout.  Here's a stamped embellie.
I also incorporated some stamps into my journaling. If you take a close look, some of these are words that I inked from a longer sentiment. Did you notice these great words in the View Finder set? "Sweet", "genius", "hug", "deserve", "happy", "smile" and "perfect"!


Here's my completed layout. I'm so glad I made that kit, I never would have paired all of these pieces together otherwise!
Some tips from today:
  1. Find a way to mix up your supplies and make your older stuff feel fresh and new. (and then you can take part in our 'Use What You Have Challenge' each week!)  
  2. Use stamped words or small images in your journaling for a fun look.
  3. Look for single words within your longer sentiments and mask to ink up only the words you want.
And here are the stamp sets I used (5 of them!):
Image 1 

Image 1

Image 1

Image 1

Image 1

  
I hope you can all join us for the August Release. Release day is August 14th, just around the corner!







And don't forget about your chance to be a Sweet Designer! Application deadline is just a day after the release - August 15th.


Thanks for stopping by, please visit me on my blog anytime!
-Michele

Pin It

6 comments:

  1. Michelle, your 'home-made' card kit is FABULOUS!! I'm envying your plentiful stash, however, you've offered brilliant ideas for looking at what I have with new perspective! Clever to the nth degree! Your layout page is darling!! Feeling incredibly inspired!!
    c

    ReplyDelete
  2. WoW! This is an awesome idea!! I really love how you looked through your stuff to find similar items in a particular kit! I'm going to have to give this a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the kit you put together!! I don't think my stash is big enough to do that, but it's definitely a great idea for making "old" stuff feel fresh!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your layout what great tips :)

    ReplyDelete