Jul 23, 2012

A helping hand... A difference made...



Getting a little personal this afternoon... 



Maybe some of you know, but - in May my Papa passed away. 

Theodore Robert Rixon

It's still surreal and as I sit in front of a mass of photos needing a home in a scrapbook... I think I'm just not ready to close that chapter in my life. 

You see, my grandparents had five children - and my Dad was the second oldest. So, when my brother and I were born my grandparents were in their 50's. So, as you can imagine, we were close. I spent many summers living with my grandparents - working at the local swimming pool - and camping away the summer sun. 

A couple years ago my grandfather was becoming quite forgetful and within a matter of months was wheel chair bound and in the full grip of the life stealer -Alzheimer's. 

It didn't take long for him to no longer recognize friends and family-and before we realized it... Alzheimers had taken my grandfather.The result, all to familiar to those whom suffer, was a six year battle that my grandfather lost this past May. The complete sadness for my family, my father, and myself could never be properly expressed. 

Alzheimers robbed my grandfather of memories from the past and robbed his family from memories yet to be. 


My father once said to me, in reflection of our loss, 

He deserved better - He deserved more 

With that in mind, my family and I are raising money for the Alzheimers Association for their annual 'walk' 

And, I'm asking for your help! 

Our goal is to raise $2,250.00

Please make donations here



Thank you, so much. 

Big Hugs, 
N. 


Pin It

10 comments:

  1. Big hugs Nicole! I pray that you guys not only reach your goal but that you'll exceed it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shared with my crafty group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooooo much. We all appreciate it.

      Delete
  3. What a tremendous goal. I lost my uncle, and my husband's grandmother, to Alz. As a result, my growing interest in it encourged me to do my Sr. research paper and presentation on the Genetic of Alz. It is a very humbling disorder, and isn't selective of who it will take over next. Baby steps for your healing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my grandparents both sides with the exception of my Grammy who was THE most Awesome Lady in the world! Your post brings tears to my eyes with the pain you are going through and your reaching out to help others!!! I will be donating to your cause!!!

    Tons of love hugs and payers!!!

    KelliJo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made a donation - blessings to you on this fundraising journey - I hope that you blow this out of the water :) Sharing with my crafting friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Made my way here via the new release hops and made a donation. I really hope you reach your goal! Go Team Papa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hugs and prayers to you and your family. I donated in honor of my husband's late grandmother who lost her battle to Alzheimer's as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Grandfather and all his brothers and sisters lost their battle to Alzheimer's. Research is desperately needed to help those afflicted and the families that care for them.

    ReplyDelete